Friday, February 01, 2008

Neither sleet nor snow can keep Dalton from the Beer Store

One thing you've got to say about Dalton McGuinty - he's got his priorities straight. Not even a huge snowstorm that closed local schools could deter him from celebrating the one year anniversary of the 'Bag it Back' program.

Being the adventurous sort, I decided to check it out, but was stopped at the door by an employee.

"Are you here to buy beer?"

"No, I just want to peek in the windows", I pleaded.

"Well, he's not here yet".

"O.K. No problem". I thought about saying that I was a big fan or something, but I was afraid my nose would grow longer than Dalton's.

I headed over to the corner of the building where a customer approached me.

"Isn't it open?"

"Oh yeah. It's open if you're buying beer. The Premier is coming though."

He looked somewhat blank for a moment.

Then he scowled, "Dalton? I don't care about him!! I just want my beer".

"I hear ya, buddy". I broke out in laughter. He responded with a hearty guffaw, and then resumed his primary objective.

The Premier finally arrived flanked by local MPP's and handlers. He was carrying a bag which I assume contained an empty, and quickly disappeared inside.

You may be celebrating tonight Dalton, but I take solace in knowing that there's at least one other Ontarian out there who's not overly impressed with your performance.

I'll be raising my glass to him.


* * * *
Update: Dalton thinks we're doing a 'great job'. Aaawww... Too bad he isn't.

Oops! Scratch that!! Dalton says we need to do a better job - CNEWS. Obviously we're not meeting the government's achievement goals. Perhaps we need a separate depot for certain colours of bottles?

Dalton calls The Beer Store a 'wonderful institution'.


Related - Milk Stores Gasping - Sun:
...The OCSA asked the province allow convenience stores to sell wine and beer to ensure their long-term survival.

The McGuinty government opposes the sales of alcohol in corner stores and will not say whether it will address tobacco taxes in its budget...


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

perhaps Dalton was getting his message out to the "beer & popcorn" parents in the province who get to stay home with their kiddies today?

He'll have to lose that Paul Martinesque campaign material if he makes a break for federal politics.

Unknown said...

I have no reason to go to the beer store. I work 1 block away from Brick Brewing on King St. in Waterloo, and I love several of their brands. The new liquor store on King is right there too. I wonder if I can get carbon credits for not making a special trip to a beer store for my empty wine, and liquor bottles? Oh well, hopefully the recycle pick up guys appreciate the donation.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

I work 1 block away from Brick Brewing on King St. in Waterloo, and I love several of their brands.

I love Brick brands too. Good to support the local economy if you can.

And that is environmentally friendly. ;)

Anonymous said...

Think global.
Drink local!

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Drink local!

Cheers!

Möbius said...

I'm not sure where Waterloo Dark comes from, but, damn it, I love that stuff!

It's not popular with all, but I am addicted to it.

Möbius said...

BTW, if they want to send me a case, just for the endorsement......