Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Harper Press Conference

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is holding a press conference at this moment regarding the Liberal motion on Afghanistan.

It sounds hopeful that both sides can reach a compromise. Harper says he will look carefully at the proposals.

Robert Fife says it is important to note that this will be a bi-partisan consensus, and that there may be enough common ground to keep forces in until 2011.

He suggests that this may even lessen the Liberal Party's desire for a spring election, since they feel the economy will worsen throughout the year and this could be a disadvantage for the government.

In any case, I believe this could be the best possible scenario for our soldiers and the Afghan citizens. Canadians need to be united on the issue of Afghanistan.


* * * *

Update: PM vows compromise on Afghan Mission - Globe

CTV - Harper, Dion open to compromise on Afghan mission. Check out some of the comments. Here's the first one:

From a 'Serving Soldier' - "I will gladly go back to Afghanistan under the national political leadership of Stephen Harper and the Conservatives, knowing that they have my back.

With either Dion or Layton at the helm, I'll be the first one off the ship."

If Layton is at the helm, I think I'll jump off the ship with you.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heck, I missed that!
Was it on CPAC or Newsworld?

Joanne (True Blue) said...

It was on CTV Newsnet. I'm sure Duffy will be covering it.

Anonymous said...

Frickin Lieberals! What is it going to take to get an election?...I suppose they'll yet again sit on their hands comes budget vote time and the majority Fib senilators will cave in with the crime bill package too.

I want an election ASAP...Harper would get a majority right now.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

I suppose they'll yet again sit on their hands comes budget vote time and the majority Fib senilators will cave in with the crime bill package too.


Check out the next post.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the stupid questions, Joanne, but as I've mentioned in the past, I'm technically challenged. I get promissory notes from those around me re: tech help, but ...
I've even gotten to the point where I can't empty my trash, getting the message that "htm" is open ... as if I knew what the heck an htm is ...

My SQ:
CTV Newsnet: is it a free service?

Joanne (True Blue) said...

There are no stupid questions here Gabby. They're all worthwhile. :)

CTV Newsnet is a channel available on our local cable network. I'm not sure if it would be available in Quebec. It would be a division of CTV. Perhaps you could email them?

Anonymous said...

Gabby,
I'm sure you can get CTV newsnet if you purchase an extended english channel package from you cable or satellite provider

OMMAG said...

Which raises the question ..
What's more important?
a- The future of Afghanistan?
b- The political prospects of the LIberal party?
Fife lets us know where he stands... and that's exactly where dufus and Liberals stand.

maryT said...

France and Germany have changed their minds and will not send help. Could that decision be the result of Dions saying we will be out, we will not fight.
If Canada is pulling the plug, why should another country send help.
At least now PMSH can tell NATO that no help means we are out.
At least we tried. Let Europe defend themselves and become Islamic states.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Let Europe defend themselves and become Islamic states.

Yeah, I would suggest that it's too late for them.

OMMAG said...

On the matter of Europeans...

Here is a link that you may appreciate:
!noPasaran!

Anonymous said...

check this out,

Poor Canadian soldiers who may be killed by British PLANS:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/revealed-british-plan-to-build-training-camp-for-taliban-fighters-in-afghanistan-777671.html

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Armando, that is bizarre. Link here.