Saturday, December 29, 2007

Honour Killings in Canada?

Darcey has a fascinating discussion going on at DMB about so-called 'Honour Killings'.

Author Ellen R. Sheeley has left a comment that is well worth the read:

Imam Shakir is being disingenuous and playing to the cultural/moral relativists, of which there seem to be plenty.

Aqsa Parvez's death was an "honor" killing, and "honor" killings will never be properly addressed if people aren't even willing to admit to what they are. They are a form of domestic violence, but a very specific form, with different roots, different triggers, different modus operandi, and different ways of preventing them...


I am planning to pick up this thread sometime in the near future, since these issues now appear to be affecting Canada.

* * * *

Previous related articles:
-The deadly face of Muslim Extremism by Tarek Fatah and Farzana Hassan - Post
-Denial is sickening by Michael Coren- Sun.
-Islamic like me: Why the veil is a threat - Danielle Crittenden (Huffington Post)
-Horror under the hijab - Stephen Brown (Front Page Magazine)
-The failure of Western feminists to address Islamist Abuse - Adrian Morgan.
-The enemy isn't Islam. It's tribalism - Jonathan Kay.
-Whitewashing the murder of Aqsa Parvez . . . and remembering the murder of Tina Isa - Michelle Malkin.

* * * *
Sunday Update: Choosing hijab doesn't make me more pious - Star.

Star - Imams deliver few words on Bhutto. (This report references the killing of Aqsa Parvez).

* * * *
Monday Update: Dr. Roy - Tarek Fatah on the response to the Bhutto assassination.


Tuesday Update - I think the only thing I want to add to this post is a short excerpt from 'Infidel' by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (where she references the political situation in Holland at the time):

"... I felt disappointed by the Labour Party. I had joined them originally because, in my mind, social democrats stood for reform. They sought to improve people's lives; they cared about suffering, which I thought should have meant they would care about the suffering of Muslim women. But in reality, the Labour Party in Holland appeared blinded by multiculturalism, overwhelmed by the imperative to be sensitive and respectful of immigrant culture, defending the moral relativists..."

Sound familiar?


* * * *
Jan. 4/08 Update - Dr. Roy: More honour killings?


14 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Raphael Alexander said...

Ah, honour killings. An oxymoron a Muslim can be proud of.

Anonymous said...

Nothing will ever surface in our media that could ever be linked to making our current immigration system suspect due to the economic implications of said immigration. The people that demand and manage and profit from our immigration system also control our media. (real conservative)

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Ah, honour killings. An oxymoron a Muslim can be proud of.

Some Muslims, anyway.

I am mystified by that term too. I would call them 'Shame Killings".

Anonymous said...

I've got a dirt clod in my back yard that is more original and clever than Canadian Cynic. Just sayin, is all.

I'm glad you will be bringing some attention to this tragic topic. The tragedy is not only in the 'honour' killing itself, but also in the way the MSM, the police, and all of the feminist groups are studiously ignoring the issue.

OT Love your blog, keep up the good work.

Karen Tintori said...

The feminists are hiding behind a veil of moral or cultural relativism and/or political correctness. I don't understand how we can pick and choose when it comes to basic human rights.

We are our sisters' keepers. These vengeance murders by male family members against women hurt us all as human beings.

Shame on the feminists.

Karen Tintori, author
Unto the Daughters: The Legacy of an Honor Killing in a Sicilian-American Family
www.karentintori.com

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Good point, Karen. Honor killings can happen in various cultures. In fact, I understand that there have been a few in Canada previous to this one that were not Muslim.

Yet, where are the feminists indeed? Their mouths have been gagged by the censure of political-correctness and cultural-relativism.

Thanks for dropping by and shedding some light on this topic.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

I've got a dirt clod in my back yard that is more original and clever than Canadian Cynic. Just sayin, is all.

Oops. I accidentally deleted the comment that you referenced there. Why give the trolls more traffic?

Annie said...

I actually enjoyed reading Noor Javed's article in the Star, which is surprizing as normally I avoid anything in the Star like the plague!

Her final point about modesty is interesting to me. For the last month or so I've found myself more aware of the hijab than I have before. I've watched the women I've encountered wearing them

What has been interesting for me to note is that fully 50% of the hijab wearing women I've noted (aprox 80 in total) and most those who are 'young' wear the head scarf in conjunction with some pretty immodest clothing. And... I've wondered as I've stared at a chick in hijab and skin tight pants with belly showing and tight t-shirt with lots of cleavage, just how it is that the hijab is the sole symbol of modesty.

Surely the concept of modesty has less to do with a headscarf and more to do with one's actions and other forms of dress.

I know for the majority of Muslim women, the hijab goes along with long loose clothing and respectable behaviour in public. But it seems that the message of modesty is being left behind on the younger generation (as it is in our culture as well). I've seen girls in headscarfs being terribly illbehaved, surely that's not modest. Heavens, the one standing in front of me in Safeway yesterday had more skin showing on a cold Calgary afternoon than I do on a blistering hot summer day! But as she wears a scarf, she is considered modest?

I think Noor Javed is right. It's time for the community to figure out exactly what it stands for and get their messages and priorities about the scarf straight.

Tomm said...

Joanne,

Excellent articles. I only read a few but learned a great deal in what I saw.

Islam is like other religions in that it can be molded into many different shapes.

It is unlike many religions in that the Imams are not bound by an orthodoxy of common values and ethics.

Muslims must start calling out others who pretend to be men of peace and brotherhood but who are actually close minded, rigid, and ultimately too dogmatic to fit well into a pluralistic, or democratic society.

The Qur'an is being badly abused by many who claim to be its translators.

Tomm

Burton, Formerly Kingston said...

Happy New Years to all, Wish all the very best in all your endevours and the best of luck, happiness and health to you and your families

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Happy New Year, Kingston! Wishing you and your family a wonderful 2008.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joanne (True Blue) said...

Sorry, Anon. That was a bit over-the-top. Perhaps you could rephrase it? Thanks.