Wednesday, April 09, 2008

This should make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up

Jonathan Kay warns of the OHRC's desire to increase its jurisdiction.

In a related article (Rights body dismisses Maclean's case), Tarek Fatah founder of the Muslim Canadian Congress weighs with these observations:

..for the Commission "to refer to Maclean's magazine and journalists as contributing to racism is bullshit, if you can use that word."

He said the Commission has unfairly taken sides against freedom of speech in a dispute within the Canadian Muslim community between moderates and fundamentalists.

"There are within the staff [of the Ontario Human Rights Commission], and among the commissioners, hardline Islamic supporters of Islamic extremism, and this [handling of the Maclean's case] reflects their presence over there," Mr. Fatah said, identifying two people by name.

"In the eyes of the Ontario human rights commission, the only good Muslim is an Islamist Muslim," he said. "As long as we hate Canada, we will be cared for. As soon as we say Canada is our home and we have to defend her traditions, freedoms and secular democracy, we will be considered as the outside."

Absolutely chilling - especially in view of today's events.


* * * *

Thursday Morning Update
: This should make all bloggers wary of how our freedom to debate on the internet is in jeopardy - That's done.

National Post - Ontario rights commission dismisses complaint, sort of by Joseph Brean.

Saskboy is not impressed - Terrible news for the Canadian Blogosphere.

Thursday Afternoon Update: Jonathan Kay on the Ontario Human Rights Commission: Some interesting thoughts from a former government insider.


Interesting interview going on right now on the Gary Doyle show with the author of "Why we want to kill you".

Am I allowed to say that?


Tip from a reader - Muslim Canadian Congress shocked at OHRC decision to trumpet Islamic cause. Well worth the read, if you're concerned about Sharia law in Ontario.

BCL weighs in - "Sask. Blogs Aggregator: Striking A Martyr's Pose"



10 comments:

OMMAG said...

Tarek Fatah is one serious and honest man.
That kind of thing really rankles the Lefty tools and the Islamist totalitarians.
I hear his facebook group was vandalized or possibly yanked due to complaints. Now who would be complaining about Tarek?

BTW - Warman is going to lose this suit in a REAL court! Bank on it....

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Tarek Fatah is one serious and honest man.

I totally agree.

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to read that post from Kay. I was really concerned, (ok terrified), that under McGuinty the situation would get worse. I will certainly give McGuinty credit if he can see the danger here.

Anyone see this release here, very interesting.

http://www.muslimcanadiancongress.org/20080410.pdf

Joanne (True Blue) said...

I will certainly give McGuinty credit if he can see the danger here.

Yes, that is reassuring.

Thanks for that link! I'll post it in the update.

Anonymous said...

hi Joanne ...I stop by regularly to read the many observations of the people ...I have found this story ,although its not so much what is the story as the stories inside the links ...I trust your judgement when it comes to news and most of the BS that are out there ...so I submit this for your analyses thanks ....katou...http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/82106/

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Katou, I have my doubts about the authenticity of that story.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Re: The Warman thing, I've wondered for some time if letting libelous or threatening comments stand implies I'm publishing them.

Guess so. I get rid of them - like threats of violence against public figures, that kind of thing. Luckily it rarely happens.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Interesting. Re: The Warman thing, I've wondered for some time if letting libelous or threatening comments stand implies I'm publishing them.

Yeah, you almost need a lawyer to be a blogger these days. It's sad.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

I just want to know - Did any of you vote Liberal in the last election?

Anonymous said...

Vote Liberal? Not me. Why?