Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Rating the local candidate - (Updated)

(Updated Tuesday a.m.)

Newsflash - Local PC Candidate Matt Stanson to be a guest on 570's Jeff Allan show this morning.

* * * *

Ah, there's nothing like a good old All-Candidates' debate to evoke that grass-roots feeling of democracy.

It must be humbling for the incumbent to have to endure a 'job review' as he referred to it. Candidates were forced to field all kinds of questions.

I was able to cross off the Family Coalition guy after he referred to homosexuality being a 'disease' that is 'spreading'. That was pretty out there even for a So-Con like me. And that was in his introduction! No one had even asked a question relating to homosexuality. His platform was basically about the virtues of self-reliance and the importance of family as a cornerstone of society. I definitely agree with the latter.

The Green Party candidate made the statement that "most of Europe" is already meeting the Kyoto protocol. I didn't know that.

The NDP candidate tried to lecture us on the plight of the poor from his comfy position as a teacher with great benefits and a nice pension to look forward to. He is a good speaker though, and should do quite well.

The Liberal incumbent (John Milloy) patted himself on the back at every opportunity and evaded the questions in a masterful display. ( I think they teach them this in 'Liberal school'.) He listed his successes and kept mentioning the plans for a new 'Highway 7' as one of them, even though the natives may have something to say about it.

John is a nice guy though. One thing about him - he's answered just about every email I've ever sent him (unlike a certain federal Liberal MP who shall remain nameless).


Now we get to the PC candidate (Matt Stanson), whom of course had to address the issue of Faith-based funding. He was quite pleased to relay the day's events to us - that John Tory had promised a free vote, so MP's would be allowed to vote their conscience and 'represent the wishes of their constituents'.

Matt said that the message came through loud and clear on the hustings - The overwhelming response was a 'no' to faith-based funding, so that is the way he would vote.

I had a little chat with him afterwards and felt quite reassured that he would indeed represent the will of the riding, which is really what it's all about.

If my beliefs are at odds with the majority, too bad for me but I can live with it.

Yes, democracy still lives.

Go to an all-candidates' debate if you still can.

You won't be disappointed.

13 comments:

Swift said...

Did anybody demolish another candidate's position? After all it was supposed to be a debate.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Swift, that was one of the complaints I heard afterwards. It was really a polite Q & A type forum.

I would have preferred an actual 'debate'.

Swift said...

If they are all answering the same question there is plenty of oportunity to trip someone up, especially if you are last. It is more difficult if you have to answer first, but quite possible in most cases if you know the opponent's platform.

Since you didn't know that many European countries were meeting their targets, you obviously don't know why. The former communist eastern countries have targets that were set based on their emissions by soviet style processes. After the collapse of the Russiaan empire, many factories found they couldn't produce a product that was good enough to compete with western firms. Its easy to meet Kyoto targets when half your industry disappears. Western Europe? Well let's just say that in most cases the governments made sure the estimates for 1990 emissions were definately not going to be low. Firms met their targets for reductions without doing a single thing in many cases.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Thanks, Swift. I figured there was some reason for it like that.

BTW, I just saw John Tory on City TV showing off his cooking skills. He did a great job. He seems like the kind of guy you'd like to invite over for a beer and a BBQ. He sure does like to talk! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm not from Toronto so I don't understand, but for four years, people have been trying to get rid of Dalton McGuinty and now they are voting for him again. Why?

Joanne (True Blue) said...

people have been trying to get rid of Dalton McGuinty and now they are voting for him again. Why?.

We are a dysfunctional province. We need an intervention. All other provinces should get together and rescue us from our co-dependence.

Anonymous said...

..and this from the riding my family and friends live in...thank you Joanne...I was just listening to Jeff Allen and there were non stop callers all choosing the conservatives after John Tory's annoncement yesterday...yes indeed...democracy may yet be alive!!!

Anonymous said...

I've kinda been luke warm about John Tory for some time ... but no longer. It took a real man and leader to change his stance on the 'faith based school funding issue' from a Party Policy mandate to a Free vote. This showed me a lot about John; that is the kind of person I want leading this province forward ... not that, 'do nothing' wimp McGuinty.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

there were non stop callers all choosing the conservatives after John Tory's annoncement yesterday...yes indeed...democracy may yet be alive!!!

Yes, that was a great show, wasn't it? I was really encouraged.

Interesting that Tory hasn't alienated the Jewish vote either.

Steve Schulman of the Canadian Jewish Congress mentioned that this has at least opened up a dialog which has been suppressed for 40 years, I think he said.

In an odd way, it reminds me of the same-sex marriage debate. Funny how the left was all for that, saying it was a matter of rights.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

This showed me a lot about John; that is the kind of person I want leading this province forward ... not that, 'do nothing' wimp McGuinty.

Good to hear, Dave! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

More good news for Tory.

I just stopped into my campaign office. They've had calls from folks who are giving Tory the nod after his announcement yesterday.

Also, my riding was leaning blue before the annoucement.

I guess the fact that Dalton blew in here this morning means, the PCs will turn Huron-Bruce Blue!!!

Anonymous said...

I live in Huron-Bruce and that's the best news I've heard all day. We have a great guy running for the Conservatives so I was hoping we could paint it blue.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Yay for Huron-Bruce!