Monday, September 17, 2007

Jonathan Kay on Caledonia 'Scandal' - with update

Tonight I received a tip from a fellow blogger that Jonathan Kay had posted a piece about Caledonia on Full Comment.

I had been planning to take a break from this frustrating subject for a while, but Kay's piece is worth considering before I pack it in for the night.

Jonathan Kay also feels that Caledonia could become the most important issue of this election.

...Yet none of the three major candidates are discussing what may be the most important issue facing the province: the ongoing, violent flouting of the rule of law by native protestors in and near the town of Caledonia. The fact that the province's police have consistently refused to take decisive action against the protestors since their illegal activity began in February, 2006 is a significant scandal, one that has sent the message that Mr. McGuinty's government is either unwilling or unable to maintain the basic rule of law...


This is what I've been trying to say this whole past week - If we have anarchy going on, what's the point of worrying about our schools and health system? To me, law and order comes first. The rest follows.

But native thugs have proclaimed that anyone working in the area must get their approval (i.e., pay protection money) first. As in all situations where a central authority refuses to apply the rule of law, mafia-like groups have rushed in to the vacuum and proclaimed themselves a law unto themselves.

Six Nations has decreed that anyone planning to build in the Brant-Haldimand tract has to pay for permits from the SN. If not, there will be repercussions.

The bottom line is that a group of hooligans is openly flouting the government - and Mr. McGuinty has done nothing about it except attempt to shift blame onto Ottawa. Some Ontarians apparently are allowed to break the Trespass to Property Act and the Criminal Code whenever they please - simply because of the colour of their skin. It is an ongoing embarrassment to Mr. McGuinty's government, even if most of the media have grown tired of covering it.

However, Kay doesn't let John Tory off the hook either. He ridicules Tory's suggestion that civil actions be brought against native law-breakers:

Civil actions? That sounds a lot like what the original property owner did in early 2006 when native protestors first squatted on the Douglas Creek Estates. He obtained an injunction ordering the protestors off the land. When the Sheriff delivered it, one of the protestors burned the document, an action that was broadcast on TV.

Yeah, well, thanks Jonathan. You're probably right. And you've just shot down any hope we have here for some of resolution.

When stark reality stares you straight in the face, it's tough to shrug it off.


Christian Conservative spells out the cold facts.


* * * *

Monday Update: Jonathan Kay's piece is now today's editorial.

Also, I haven't got a link to this information yet, but 570 news is reporting on air that talks between the builder and Six Nations this weekend have brought forward some kind of resolution on the second occupation, and construction will resume today.


12:00 p.m. Update from the Spectator - "Native leaders say building can resume".

I've got to wonder why we're bothering with a provincial election in Ontario at all? Clearly the natives are in charge.

3:30 p.m. Update - Protesters are still there in spite of 'agreement' (Spectator).


* * * *

Tuesday Update: 'Person of interest' identified - Star.

Letter sent to the Post - Cowering on Caledonia.

19 comments:

bluetech said...

Thanks for not letting this be swept under the rug. Mcguinty started the week speaking in schools...he really wanted this election to focus on education.
My guess is that there aren't too many in the 'Golden Horshoe' talking about education for the next few weeks.
Too bad MSM isn't covering this as well as you have joanne!

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Thanks, Bluetech. Well, some of MSM are covering this; perhaps others have been intimidated.

SouthernOntarioan said...

What is the solution though? The only one I can see is to send in the troops and force McGuinty's hand. Maybe Tuesday after the by-elections are over Harper will be willing to make the move and force the natives off. Because Dalton sure isn't.

Kingston said...

SO, PM Harper cannot send troops without a request from the Premier of Ontario.

g said...

http://grannyrantson.blogspot.com/2007/09/two-six-nations-youth-defend-themselves.html

Anonymous said...

During this whole 1.5 year episode of unlawful and often violent action by the ancestors of the first nations in Caledonia, Dalton's Liberal government has been petrified into inaction with the exception of lavishly paying his cronies to posture for him.

Now, during the election campaign, his cowardly, self-serving inactions are even more evident.

I shudder to think what would happen to this country if he was our PM.

SouthernOntarioan said...

Good point Kingston, I suppose that Harper cannot legally overrule the Premier of Ontario on this issue.

So really there is no solution on the federal end.

Maybe John Tory would do something? Doubt it..

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Yes, it is my understanding that Dalton must ask Harper for help with law enforcement - which he won't do.

So we have chaos and uncertainty.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

The link from 'g' looks like it was cut off. Here's the whole thing from the native perspective.

No matter which side you believe, the OPP was MIA on this one, as McGuinty continues to be.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Harper has been reluctant to touch Caledonia with a 10 foot pole. Caledonia is messy for all sitting governments

The only political leader who has had the guts to speak out against what is going on is John Tory, who actually has been to Caledonia something like 6 different times IIRC since the occupation started, speaking out against what is happening there.

I heard Tory give a speech on this issue. Sure, he didn't use any Mikr Harris-style machismo rhetoric, but he made it clear that , unlike McGuinty he will not treat the protesters like they are above the law.

I'd be shocked if you don't hear more from Tory on this before election day.

bluetech said...

Joanne...Thanks for that link. Sorry to sound so skeptical, but as you mentioned previously if the young men were attacked first, have we seen their bruises to prove it?Any where else in Canada it would be noted that they were trespassing.

OMMAG said...

The Caledonia situation represents and highlights everything that is wrong with this slimy politician and his government.

The big picture is that all of Ontario is in one way or another being mismanaged ..... Caledonia is just the most egregious example!

---------------------------------
Young men being attacked?
Trespassers being evicted!

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Well, it will be interesting to see how the 'investigation' goes, and what charges, if any, are laid.

bluetech said...

Back to the MSM...CTV today says "McGuinty hammering Tory re: FBE"
Right...that's the big story?...

Nothing about Caledonia.
Nothing about arrests.
All is well in Caledonia..nothing happenned last week...fo'getaboutit!

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Right...that's the big story?....

Yes, indeed. God is very scary.

Good grief! I am working on a post about that. It's in the hopper.

Matt said...

Clearly the natives are in charge.

Hopefully once we vote out Premier McGuinty, Premier-elect Tory will put his foot down so Premier Shawn Brandt is no longer such a militant force.

Joanne, I sent you an email moments ago. Please let me know what you think!

Anonymous said...

McGuinty will do nothing...
Why change his strategy?

He is getting a relatively easy ride from th media on this issue!!!

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Bluetech, check this out. Lowell Green has Jim Watson on the ropes!

Möbius said...

I must admit, I was around when Davis extended funding to Catholic schools, and I had forgotten that it was not constitutionally required past Grade 8.

My memory must be fading.