Wednesday, September 19, 2007

CHCH served with warrant - Update on protester arrests

Caledonia Wakeup Call has posted a video from CHCH TV's Sept. 17 news broadcast.

Apparently CHCH was served with a search warrant to seize tapes in connection with their coverage last week of 'an assault of a Caledonia builder'.

Why?

It brings to mind this video of CHCH being threatened by McGuinty's handlers. (See end of clip).

And possibly more intimidation here.

What is going on?

Why is MSM giving the Liberals and the OPP a free ride? This story should be on the front page of every daily in Ontario.

Lots more information at Caledonia Wakeup Call.


Matt has more here at A Step to the Right.

1:30 p.m. - I just heard on 900 CHML that tensions are increasing in Caledonia again this afternoon. Will try to update when more info becomes available.

3:30 p.m. - Matt updates the story in comments. Police move in.

CHML is covering this extensively on the air and will be posting segments later. Listen live.

City TV - 18 Protesters Arrested.

Globe - Caledonia, Ont. Protesters arrested.

33 comments:

Matt said...

Whatever would they want video of CHCH's news coverage of the story for?

Matt said...

Adler is saying now that news is just coming in that police are moving in on one of the native blockades/protests/whatever they are

Matt said...

Joe Gaulteri (sic) was just telling Adler that about 100 officers with shields started tapping them on the ground to get the natives to know they were serious - that was after a couple police delegates went to the occupation to warn them not to cause a disturbance. After they did not oblige several natives were arrested but there has been "no violence"

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Thanks, Matt. If you hear of anything else, or see any links, please let me know.

No idea why they would have wanted CH's clips. Couldn't they just have asked for copies or something? It doesn't add up.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Holy cow. Arresting natives!

No way.

Anonymous said...

If there are any tories tuning into this blog who have the ears of the folks manning the phones at campaign HQ, it would be a real nice idea if they could tell them to answer their friggin' phones!!!

Our campaign office is referring folks to that number for specific policy info. and no one's home.

Just how badly do we want this?

Specifically people are pissed and confused at the whole referendum.Conservatives are threatening to stay home because they aren't being informed by their own party.

A little help from HQ for the volunteer help on the ground PLEASE.

Matt said...

Joanne: Thanks for the link, I was listening to all of this on Adler and typing it up as I heard it but at the same time thinking there was no way they arrested natives, and there was no way they had 100 police in riot gear.


Anon:

What are you talking about - the provincial PC campaign HQ or that of a specific candidate? Let me know who you're trying to reach or for what purpose and I'll do my best to direct you. If you don't want to type anything here you can email me and I'll help you from there. Go to this link to email me
http://splatto.net/blog/?page_id=204

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Matt, sounds like a frustrated campaign worker for sure.

Yes, try contacting Matt, Anon. Or you can email me at the address on my blog. I'm not actually a party member, but I would do my best to get your questions answered.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

As far as the referendum goes, John Tory has suggested that he isn't a big fan.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Adler read an email from someone who wrote in that FINALLY something is happening, because of the election!

What a joke.

Anonymous said...

Matt - we are receiving the most calls NOT on fb funding, but on where our party stands with respect to MMP.

People are telling us that the 1-800- number given on the Ont. PC website isn't being answered. Others, who have left a message two days ago aren't getting callbacks.

Campaign offices want key message sheets supplied so that they can better advise callers and visitors.

As it was I had to rely on Cherniak's website to find our leader's feelings on this. Nothing at all on our site....zip...zero.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm? Don't suppose OPP had a 'conversation' with someone at Queen's Park regarding getting the &*%$^# Indians off the job site. No right, Libs wouldn't direct the OPP. They don't do that.

Anonymous said...

just called the number. worked for me.

Anonymous said...

Clearly the Liberals really did a hatchet job of rolling out this referendum if you ask me.

We too are getting lots of questions and all we can offer is personal opinion. Nothing more formal.

When we did our search the Globe reports that neither the PCs or Liberals have a position.

Voters are looking for guidance on the ground and are feeling forgotten.

Could this be Liberal strategy? Hoping that confused voters will support MMP without fully understanding it?

Anonymous said...

It worked for me too, except that the receptionist forwards to policy where no one picks up.

Just tried it too. Left another message.

Whatever the case we shouldn't be scrambling on this...not now.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Well, regarding MMP, I'm personally against it. I've written several posts about it, and you can also read more at No MMP. Cherniak is against it too.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Send me an email, Anon, and I'll try to get you more info.

Anonymous said...

called the number again. asked for policy. got through.

Anonymous said...

Anon. Didn't your candidate get a full policy package at candidate school?

Anonymous said...

Cherniak, stop trying to drive traffic to your sight.

Anonymous said...

Candidate package? Why is there something in there that would have helped us?

We've typed up the National Post article quoting Tory and yes, telling folks about Jason's site too.

Thanks Jason. The whole idea of MMP quite simply creeps me out. However the NDP seem to have their writers busy writing local papers singing the praises of MMP.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Matt has written a lot about it too. Here's a great post.

OMMAG said...

So let's recap here..
- A Premier wishes to get himself and his cronies re-elected in Ontario in spite of an abysmal record of mis-management and incompetence and outright lying
- Criminal Activity near SNR has been gong on Unanswered since last year. Said Premier refuses to take responsibility yet spends Millions of public money to buy off criminals
- Further criminal acts have been perpetrated on lawful persons and businesses in the area
- The Natives have created an official institution for extorting money from lawful individuals , with the apparent blessing of the same premier's Government
- A TV News station has been threatened by the campaign workers of said premier
- A TV News Station has had their video library warranted for search because they have what? Footage of the OPP in action (inaction?)... what?

All this is going on and Mainstream Networks are saying WHAT? did you hear something? I didn't.....

Fade to sound of crickets chirping now.

----------------------------------
If this was a conservative government at the center of all of this you would NEVER hear the end of it!

OMMAG said...

Sorry I got long winded there.... and Apparently John Tory's election campaign can't figure out how to get the upper hand on the Liberals!!???

Anonymous said...

CityNews is reporting that 18 natives from the Sterling Street site have been arrested.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Thanks, Anon. Apparently, it is a "splinter group".

Dirk said...

Am I wrong in assuming this is a federal issue, and not a provincial one? I'm by no means an expert on these matters, but I'm pretty sure treaty disputes have to be handled by the federal government.

Where have they been on this file?

SouthernOntarioan said...

Dirk, I feel like a broken record but here goes:

The federal government is supposed to have authority on indian issues. However, the provincial government holds the titles to the lands in these cases. (its not Crown land) So the provincial government has to be involved.

Secondly, the OPP do not answer to the federal government, they answer to the provincial one. Likely, the federal government doesn't agree with the natives land claim but because the provincial government is unwilling to tell the OPP to clear the natives off they are reduced to endless debates.

The reason the provincial government won't solve the land claim is because it is huge. They are claiming up to and including parts of Kitchener. They have also repeatedly stated that once they get this land claim, they will simply move up the river towards Kitchener until the get it ALL. So neither the province or the federal government want to give them any of it, but the province is unwilling to allow the law to be enforced.

Hence the endless standoff.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Thanks, S.O. - and you can add to that the confusion of various levels of native goverments often working against each other eg. (Traditional vs. elected).

And on top of that there is the new self-appointed native body which has decreed that all building plans must now be subjected to their approval for any construction at all along the Grand River.

Anonymous said...

In case you all missed it. The EQAO test results were released, very quietly yesterday.

Why?

It's because learning reading, writing and math has flat-lined, with results showing marginal to no improvement across the province.

This tells me that all of that money thrown at school boards and to boost the ranks of well-paid bureaucrats at the "Literacy and Numeracy Secretariat" are a huge waste of taxpayer dollars.

What's worse, is that the EQAO tests were dumbed down, and STILL the students did badly.

What this means is that Dalton's promise of 75% of Ontario students reading at standard has now been officially BROKEN. At the rate of improvement we're seeing now, it will take at least 10 more years for Ontario's students to read, write and do math in a way that prepares them for their future.

Joanne - maybe you could start a new thread on this timely issue?

Joanne (True Blue) said...

maybe you could start a new thread on this timely issue?

Anon, thanks for that tip. I'm working on something else right now, but I hope to address that. Thanks.

liberal supporter said...

At the rate of improvement we're seeing now, it will take at least 10 more years for Ontario's students to read, write and do math in a way that prepares them for their future.


Assuming the Harris EQAO in any correlates to learning outcomes. Recall, it was brought in by Snobelen to solve the crisis he invented.


It does however, provide a convenient set of ratings, like you would find in a TV Guide, that you could use to decide to which corporate school you will assign your education vouchers.

There will be lots of competition in the new multiverse of school systems, all busily teaching to the test, turning out grads who are great test takers but not much else.

Möbius said...

"There will be lots of competition in the new multiverse of school systems, all busily teaching to the test, turning out grads who are great test takers but not much else."

Based on my own experience with my kids, we already have this system.